Hilton’s Commitment To You, Our Guests, As We Navigate Through Coronavirus (COVID-19)
As it has always been, the safety and security of our guests and team members remains our highest priority. We are doing everything we can to ensure your travel safety and provide maximum flexibility as the situation around novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to evolve.
We will continue to update this page with the latest information regarding booking flexibility, Hilton Honors membership Points and Status, supporting our communities and workforce, and travel safety.
Greater Flexibility for New and Existing Reservations – Updated as of June 5, 2020
In order to provide you with greater travel flexibility during the COVID-19 pandemic, Hilton introduced a more flexible cancellation policy on March 12, 2020. As stay-at-home orders lift and travel resumes, our Team Members are excited to welcome you to our hotels. At the same time, we know your plans may continue to change, so we have made your reservations even more flexible:
For reservations made prior to March 12, 2020 – when our new, more flexible reservation policy went into effect: You may now change or cancel any future reservation, without penalty, as long as you do so at least 24 hours before your scheduled arrival date, but not later than August 31, 2020. This includes reservations described as “non-cancellable” or Advance Purchase.
Flexibility for the Future: Any individual reservations booked on and between March 12 and August 31, 2020 for any future arrival date can be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
If you cancel a rate which required an advance payment or deposit, we will do everything we can to process your refund as quickly as possible. Due to the influx of cancellations, it may take up to 30 days to complete your request. If you are a Hilton Honors member and cancel an Advance Purchase rate, you may be eligible for a free night certificate for each cancelled night. Free night certificates can be used at our more than 6,100 properties worldwide. Stays must be completed by August 31, 2021. In lieu of a refund, guests at select hotels may choose to receive a hotel voucher redeemable toward a future stay at that hotel. Changes are subject to availability and rate differences.
If you need to adjust reservations made via the Hilton website, Hilton Honors mobile app or call center, you can change your reservation here or contact the Hilton Guest Assistance team. If you need to adjust reservations made through another travel site, please contact them directly for assistance.
Health and Hygiene – Updated as of June 1, 2020
Hilton CleanStay with Lysol Protection Hilton has developed a global program that will introduce a new standard of hotel cleanliness and disinfection to ensure Hilton guests enjoy an even cleaner and safer stay: Hilton CleanStay with Lysol protection. The program has been developed with experts from RB, maker of Lysol and Dettol, brands trusted for safely disinfecting surfaces. In addition, experts from the Infection Prevention and Control team at Mayo Clinic will advise and assist in enhancing Hilton’s cleaning disinfection protocols.
Hilton CleanStay builds upon Hilton’s already high standards of housekeeping and hygiene, where hospital-grade cleaning products and upgraded protocols are currently in use. The program will feature Lysol’s trusted cleaning products, solutions and training in North America. RB and Hilton are also exploring opportunities to expand the program into a global partnership. The program will include:
- Hilton CleanStay Room Seal to indicate that guest rooms haven’t been accessed since they were cleaned
- Extra disinfection of top 10 high touch areas in guest rooms including light switches and door handles
- Increased cleaning frequency of public areas
- Guest-accessible disinfecting wipes at entrances and high traffic areas
- Enhanced cleaning for fitness centers
- Reduced paper amenities (like pads and guest directories) in rooms
- Enhanced cleaning & other changes to buffets, in-room dining and meeting spaces
- Industry-leading contactless check-in and check-out with Digital Key at more than 4,700 properties globally
- Evaluation of new technologies like electrostatic sprayers with disinfecting mist and ultraviolet light to sanitize surfaces and objects
- Enhanced Team Member safety and well-being with personal protective equipment and enhanced training and protocols
The rollout of Hilton CleanStay will begin at Hilton hotels worldwide this month.
Current Health and Hygiene Standards. We take great pride in maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness and hygiene. Given the effects of COVID-19, we have taken additional measures in our hotels today, developed in consultation with global and local public health authorities (including the WHO and CDC), to make our cleaning and hygiene protocols even more rigorous:
- Our hotel teams are receiving ongoing briefings and enhanced operating protocols.
- We have increased the frequency of cleaning our public areas (including lobbies, elevators, door handles, public bathrooms, etc.) and have continued the use of hospital-grade disinfectant.
- We will continue to adjust food and beverage service in accordance with current food safety recommendations.
- We have increased the deployment of hand sanitizers.
We have activated our regional and global response teams to provide around-the-clock assistance to our hotels and are prepared to act swiftly should we be alerted to a case of coronavirus at one of our properties.
What to Expect During Your Stay. As you know, the way we travel looks a little different right now, so we wanted to ensure you had the latest list of what to keep in mind when you prepare to travel next. Please reach out to your hotel directly to understand their latest local guidelines.
- Social Distancing. Social Distancing continues to be a recommended or required practice in public settings. We’ve adjusted common areas in many of our hotels to help guests adhere to these guidelines. During your stay, please be mindful of other guests and Team Members and maintain the suggested six feet of distance.
- Masks and Other Protective Equipment. Some states currently require that all of our Team Members and guests wear face coverings while in public areas. As such, we recommend bringing one with you. Our hotels have adjusted check-in and other processes to allow for limited contact with Team Members for continued safety.
- Hotel Services and Amenities. For your safety, some services or amenities such as pool, spas, fitness centers, restaurants and daily housekeeping may be modified or suspended.
Supporting our Communities – Updated as of April 20, 2020
We are proud to have worked with American Express and the Hilton ownership community to donate up to 1 million rooms to medical professionals in the US and supporting the many communities impacted by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) around the world.
- 1 Million Rooms. In partnership with American Express, we donated up to 1 million hotel room nights across the United States to frontline medical professionals leading the fight against COVID-19. Rooms were made available free of charge to doctors, nurses, EMTs and other frontline medical staff who needed a place to sleep, recharge or isolate from their families. For more information read the full press release here.
- Financial Assistance. Our Hilton Effect Foundation has pledged financial assistance to organizations to help those impacted by COVID-19.
- Donating. We have made it possible for you to donate Hilton Honors Points to our partner organizations responding to COVID-19. All Points donations will be converted into cash and sent directly to the organization. You also have the option of donating cash directly to World Central Kitchen, Project Hope and Direct Relief.
Your Hilton Honors Points and Status – Updated as of May 8, 2020
We know that earning and using points is not possible for many of you right now, so we are making a number of adjustments to help you maintain your status and points across the remainder of 2020.
- 2019 Status Extension. All members whose 2019 status was scheduled to be downgraded on March 31, 2020—whether it’s Diamond, Gold or Silver—will automatically receive an extension through March 31, 2021.
- 2020 Status Extension. We are extending your 2020 member status through March 31, 2022. This means you will continue to enjoy all the Diamond, Gold or Silver benefits you have access to today for the next 24 months.
- Points Extension. We will pause the expiration of all Points scheduled to expire between now and December 31, 2020.
- Weekend Night Rewards Earned on Eligible Hilton Credit Cards. We have extended the expiration date of all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021).
Hilton Honors Experiences
We are monitoring all active Experiences to ensure the safety of our members and provide maximum flexibility. For more information as it relates to event cancellations and Point refunds, please visit our FAQs page.
Hilton Honors American Express Card Member Benefits
Hilton and American Express announced more ways to earn rewards during this time on their co-branded credit card products. The changes are designed to provide Card Members with greater flexibility and even more Points that can add up now for future travel.
Starting May 1, new offers are being added to the Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card and the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card:
- More Points at U.S. supermarkets: With the rise of cooking at home, an increased accelerator will enable members to earn 12 Hilton Honors Points for every eligible $1 spent at U.S. supermarkets between May 1, 2020 and July 31, 2020.
- Extended Free Weekend Night Rewards, now with greater flexibility: Unexpired and new Free Weekend Night Rewards issued through December 31, 2020 can now be used any night of the week (not just on weekends). And new Free Weekend Night Rewards issued from May 1 through December 31, 2020 will now be valid for 24 months (rather than 12 months) from the date of issuance. There are no blackout dates for booking and they can be used at more than 6,000 hotels worldwide.
- Bonus Points now count as Base Points to achieve Elite Status even faster: Bonus Points earned through eligible purchases that post to the Card Member’s Hilton Honors account between May 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 will now be considered Base Points. The Points will count toward Elite tier qualification, including Lifetime Diamond Status.
- Hilton Honors Aspire Resort Credit can now be used for purchases at U.S. restaurants, including takeout & delivery: From June 1 – August 31, 2020, eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants will now qualify toward the $250 Hilton Resort Statement Credit benefit.
Hilton Workforce Resource Center – Updated as of March 23, 2020
Hilton is partnering with leading companies to connect Team Members from temporarily suspended hotels with hundreds of thousands of short-term jobs created by the global pandemic. Hilton Team Members, and others in the industry seeking employment, have been given direct access and in some cases expedited access to temporary jobs on the Hilton Workforce Resource Center at companies such as Albertsons, Amazon, CVS, Lidl, Sunrise Senior Living and Walgreens. Hilton hopes to expand the program globally and plans to welcome these Team Members back when travel resumes. Team Member applicants are encouraged to visit: https://teammembers.hilton.com/covid19