Our Development Leadership Team helps ensure that Hilton remains one of the world’s fastest-growing hotel companies.
Mr. Carter oversees Hilton’s Global Development and Architecture, Design & Construction functions. He is responsible for the company’s growth and expansion into new markets around the world. Mr. Carter was Chief Executive Officer of Hilton International prior to its re-acquisition by the company in 2006.
Prior to joining the company, Mr. Carter served as Officer and President of Black & Decker Corporation, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia. In this role, he was responsible for all operations outside of the Americas. Prior to Black & Decker, Mr. Carter spent more than a decade with General Electric Plastics, ultimately serving as President of General Electric Specialty Chemical.
Over the last 13 years, Mr. Carter served on the Board of Burberry Group plc as a Non-Executive Director of the FTSE 100 British luxury fashion house, which manufactures clothing, fragrance and fashion accessories. Mr. Carter is also involved with several leading organizations including:
- Boston University School of Hospitality Administration – Vice Chair of the Board of Advisors. Boston University’s SHA is a global community that’s pushing the boundaries of hospitality and service.
- Del Frisco Restaurant Group (DFRG) – Chairman of the Board. DFRG owns and operates three contemporary, high-end, complementary restaurant concepts.
- Dame Maureen Thomas Foundation for Young People – President of this charitable trust that raises funds to support young people in the areas of health and education across Europe.
- SERVPRO – Senior Independent Director of the largest US corporation focused on residential and commercial restoration services.
- Visit Florida – Member of the Board of Directors for the state’s official tourism marketing corporation which serves as a key resource for travel planning to visitors across the globe.
Mr. Carter is a graduate of the University of West London, School of Business and Management, and received an honorary doctorate from the University for his industry accomplishments and ongoing support of the development of future hospitality leaders.
Based in London, Patrick has led the rapid expansion of Hilton’s portfolio of brands throughout Europe, Middle East and Africa, achieving the company’s fastest growth ever in its 100-year history.
With the EMEA wide portfolio now exceeding 180,000 rooms across over 830 hotels (trading/pipeline), Patrick leads a team of over 35 hotel and property development specialists, based across 11 international offices.
During his thirteen years in this position, he has led key achievements including:
- Establishing a clear and aggressive owner-focussed mindset across the business which has resulted in Hilton’s share of industry growth climbing from sub 5% of the market to a sustained market leading 20%.
- Expanding the flagship Hilton Hotels & Resorts portfolio which now includes 190 hotels trading and more than 60 hotels under development across EMEA.
- Bringing the iconic luxury hotel brand, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, to locations such as London, Edinburgh, Berlin, Amsterdam and Jerusalem.
- Establishing DoubleTree by Hilton as one of the most successful regional growth stories, bringing the upscale conversion brand to over 170 locations (trading/pipeline).
- Extending the mid-scale Hilton Garden Inn and economy Hampton by Hilton brands to more than 300 properties now operating or under development. He has championed the use of modular technology which is being used increasingly to drive faster construction and improved product quality and on-site finishes.
- Introducing Curio Collection by Hilton, which now has properties in 15 EMEA locations, including London, Hamburg, Ibiza and Doha; and its accessible lifestyle brand, Canopy by Hilton, which made its debut in the Icelandic capital, Reykjavik in July 2016 and is also now trading in Zagreb, Croatia and is under construction in London, Paris & Bordeaux.
- Introducing Hilton’s newest brands to EMEA with the world’s first Motto by Hilton now under construction in London. LXR Hotels & Resorts, Hilton’s new luxury collection, is now trading in Dubai, with its London debut expected in Spring 2019.
- Shaping and implementing an exciting and dynamic vision for growth across the African Continent.
His first position with Hilton was in 1997 as development manager for Hilton International’s stand-alone health club business, LivingWell. Following this, he moved to Miami for three years to head up the company’s hotel development activities in Latin America, the Caribbean and Canada. In 2004, he returned to London as Managing Director of LivingWell before taking on his current position.
Tel: +44 20 7856 8274
William B. Fortier was named Senior Vice President – Development, Americas in June 2008. He is responsible for developing both the managed and franchised businesses for all of Hilton’s brands in both North and South America. Today Mr. Fortier and his team are responsible for adding 450 to 600 new managed and franchise hotel approvals annually to the companies pipeline.
Prior to his current role, Mr. Fortier was Senior Vice President – Franchise Development of Hilton’s Brand Performance and Development group, a position he held since 2001. In that capacity, he was responsible for overseeing franchise development efforts for Hilton Hotels Corporation’s brands in North America. These activities also included managing the franchise contract administration and franchise architecture and construction teams.
Mr. Fortier joined Hilton in 1996 as VP Franchise Development, where he worked with owners to develop Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn franchised hotels in the western US. At that time Hilton Hotels Corporation had just over 250 hotels. Prior to Hilton, Mr. Fortier spent 10 years at Marriott International where he was Vice President of Development, and prior to that was a consultant with Pannel Kerr Forester for just under 4 years from 1983 to 1996.
Fortier earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Hotel/Restaurant Management from the University of Houston’s Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management in 1983.
Tel: +1 703 883 1051
Matt Fry is Senior Vice President Development – Asia Pacific and leads Hilton’s development efforts across all of Asia. Matt joined Hilton in August 2018.
Before joining Hilton, Matt was Global Head of Real Estate Operations and Head of Real Estate for the Americas for WeWork, the fast-growing co-working company. At WeWork, Matt oversaw the company’s investment committee for new locations and the Americas real estate team which signed office leases for over 4 million square feet in 2017.
Prior to WeWork, Fry rose through the ranks at Starwood Hotels to become Senior Vice President, Global Development based in the corporate headquarters in Stamford, CT. In this role, he oversaw development in Asia Pacific, Europe and Latin America, and was also responsible for global oversight of feasibility and deal approval processes. Fry also spent 10 years based in Singapore and for the last 7 years, led Starwood’s development efforts for Asia Pacific ex-China. Before moving to Asia in 2004, Matt ran Starwood’s hotel development and real estate investment function for the eastern United States as well as leading the sale of a number of European hotels for over $625 million.
Early in his career, he opened and ran a 250-seat brewpub and worked as a manager at a large private club. He holds an MBA from UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business and is a graduate of Cornell University’s School of Hotel Administration.
Tel: +65 6833 9725
M: +65 9627 1741